Oregon State University – Cascades is seeking someone who is striving to learn and develop while making meaningful contributions to a growing campus in beautiful Bend, Oregon. We are looking for a full-time on-site person that would be part of a local team that is tasked with providing direct technical assistance and support for network, hardware, and software. This is a unique opportunity to learn all aspects of higher education’s technology while supporting equipment in and out of the classroom. Everyday can have a new challenge which makes this position dynamic and interesting.
- Data Statement: UIT has a commitment to deliver data as a strategic working asset and to enable data informed decision making across OSU. UIT leaders and staff will lead by example and use data to inform decision making at all levels in the organization. Persons in technology roles are also expected to design systems with data portability in mind and work within enterprise architecture and privacy guidelines.
- DEI Statement: UIT has a deep commitment to and belief in the strength and value of diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) both throughout our team and as an intentional and active practice to advance the vision, mission, and strategic efforts of the entire university. As a member of the UIT community, the person in this position is expected to foster and promote the values of DEI and demonstrate a commitment to inclusive excellence in their work.
- Security Statement: Proactively securing and protecting OSU’s digital assets and information systems is crucial to our missions of teaching and learning, research, and outreach and engagement. All OSU IT professionals have a direct responsibility to provision high quality and secure IT systems and services. Persons in technology roles are expected to be responsive to security related actions and requirements, and to collaborate to find secure ways to support the OSU community.
Working for Oregon State University is so much more than a job!
Oregon State University is a dynamic community of dreamers, doers, problem-solvers and change-makers. We don’t wait for challenges to present themselves — we seek them out and take them on. We welcome students, faculty and staff from every background and perspective into a community where everyone feels seen and heard. We have deep-rooted mindfulness for the natural world and all who depend on it, and together, we apply knowledge, tools and skills to build a better future for all.
- Top 1.4% university in the world
- More research funding than all public universities in Oregon combined
- 1 of 3 land, sea, space and sun grant universities in the U.S.
- 2 campuses, 11 colleges, 12 experiment stations, and Extension programs in all 36 counties
- 7 cultural resource centers that offer education, celebration and belonging for everyone
- 100+ undergraduate degree programs, 80+ graduate degrees plus hundreds of minor options and certificates
- 35k+ students including more than 2.3k international students and 10k students of color
- 217k+ alumni worldwide
- For more interesting facts about OSU visit: https://oregonstate.edu/about
Oregon State has a statewide presence with campuses in Corvallis and Bend, the OSU Portland Center and the Hatfield Marine Science Center on the Pacific Coast in Newport.
Oregon State’s beautiful, historic and state-of-the-art main campus is located in one of America’s best college towns. Corvallis is located close to the Pacific Ocean, the Cascade mountains and Oregon wine country. Nestled in the heart of the Willamette Valley, this beautiful city offers miles of mountain biking and hiking trails, a river perfect for boating or kayaking and an eclectic downtown featuring local cuisine, popular events and performances.
Total Rewards Package:
Oregon State University offers a comprehensive benefits package with benefits eligible positions that is designed to meet the needs of employees and their families including:
- Medical, Dental, Vision and Basic Life. OSU pays 95% of premiums for you and your eligible dependents.
- Free confidential mental health and emotional support services, and counseling resources.
- Retirement savings paid by the university.
- A generous paid leave package, including holidays, vacation and sick leave.
- Tuition reduction benefits for you or your qualifying dependents at OSU or the additional six Oregon Public Universities.
- Robust Work Life programs including Dual Career assistance resources, flexible work arrangements, a Family Resource Center, Affinity Groups and an Employee Assistance Program.
Future and current OSU employees can use the Benefits Calculator to learn more about the full value of the benefits provided at OSU.
- Responds directly to customer requests for assistance. Provides assistance to customers via phone, email, ticket system, walk-up and in-person onsite visits. Tracks all customer/user requests accurately and completely in ticketing system. Escalates more difficult problems to the appropriate technical support team or to management as needed. Ensures customer/user requests are addressed in a timely fashion.
- Maintains excellent customer relations and responds immediately and accurately to customer/user requests. Communicates regularly with customers and co-workers regarding problem status and resolution. Practices active listening to understand what customers/users are trying to accomplish and navigates technical challenges with customers/users to find a resolution.
- Installs, configures, supports and troubleshoots the following for customers/users: computer workstations and peripheral equipment including printers, print server, current versions of Microsoft Windows and Macintosh operating systems and associated software, mobile device platforms such as tablets and smartphones, Microsoft Office suite of applications, Adobe products, anti-virus and other utilities. May be assigned responsibility to monitor specific workflows related to these activities and report on deviations from expected norms to management. Recommends refresh or removal of equipment based on inventory database. Removes expired equipment, working closely with the Surplus Department, for resale, disposal, or donation. Manages the device refresh process. Maintains the loaner fleet and checkout process. Prepares equipment purchase recommendations and cost justifications.
- Supports and troubleshoots services provided by other divisions of UIT. Some examples are: network, email, learning management systems, and collaboration tools
- Assists in the daily operations of the UIT Service Desk and Desktop Suppport service through assigned specialized tasks such as ticket triage, appointment checking, scripting, computer image and software package management, loaner fleet management, hardware inventory management, mentoring students in the call center and walk-up, and other duties as assigned.
- Independently researches and resolves unique computer problems through consultation with vendors and colleagues. Acts as a liaison between the customer/user, suppliers, vendors and other technical groups to resolve technical issues. May serve as a subject matter expert for specific technical issues for the team.
- Responsible for planning and implementing the move or relocation of equipment during office or classroom shifts.
- Configures, installs, and supports VoIP phones and/or voicemail, working closely with Corvallis Telecom.
- Updates and maintains hardware inventory.
- May create and manage Active Directory objects/accounts and permissions.
- Analyzes customer/user needs and researches available products and systems to make recommendations that meet those needs.
- Configures computers and software according to OSU information security policy.
Classroom Computer and AV Equipment support 15%
- Provides general support and training for classrooms and conference room technology. Performs physical installation of equipment and verifies appropriate installation. Ensures accessibility to troubleshooting tools. Troubleshoots and resolves issues in a timely fashion.
Support Customer Experience 10%
- Displays professional behavior including: provides feedback in a constructive and tactful manner; contributes to a positive work environment; maintains excellent working relationships with colleagues in all departments; is reliable and punctual to assigned shift.
- May prepare proposals, cost estimates and justifications.
- Recommends to management changes and improvements to existing standards, processes and procedures.
- May provide training or presentations to colleagues on specific technical topics.
- May purchase equipment and technology for OSU Cascades users.
- Attends team meetings and provides input to decision-makers.
- Serves as a resource and mentor for Customer Experience student technicians and staff as requested by management.
Educate Customers/Users 10%
- Helps educate customers/users about best information security practices.
- Writes user and technician documentation including user guides, instructor guides, and training publications or videos.
Documents and maintains processes and procedures. Professional Development 5%
- Based on business needs of the unit attends webinars, online training, industry conferences, or other events to keep current with information technology. Researches new technologies and prepares summaries for the team. Attends workshops or other training opportunities to improve interpersonal skills and customer service skills.
What we require
This classification requires a basic foundation of knowledge and skills of technology and information systems generally obtained through an AA degree in computer science, information systems, educational technology, communications, or related fields, or similar certified course work in applicable fields of study and at least one year of related work experience.
What you will need
- Well-developed empathy and listening skills; the successful candidate will have an excellent ability to gauge customers’ technical abilities, to understand customer needs, and to overcome communication barriers.
- Experience configuring and troubleshooting technology closely related to the duties described in the position.
- 1 years of full-time experience troubleshooting and repairing computer hardware.
- Experience providing direct customer support in a technical environment.
- Effective written, spoken and interpersonal communication skills.
- Demonstrated successful professional behavior.
- Demonstrable commitment to promoting and enhancing diversity.
- This position is designated as a critical or security-sensitive position; therefore, the incumbent must successfully complete a Criminal History Check and be determined to be position qualified as per OSU STANDARD 576-055-0000 et seq. Incumbents are required to self-report convictions and those in Youth Programs may have additional Criminal History Checks every 24 months. Offers of employment are contingent upon meeting all minimum qualifications including the Criminal History Check Requirement.
What we would like you to have
- Experience working in an educational/university environment.
- Good working knowledge of Active Directory and Exchange including creating and managing user accounts and supporting email clients in an AD/Exchange environment.
- Knowledge of network fundamentals.
- Experience using system management tools such as SCCM, Casper, and MDT.
- Experience working in a senior position or serving as a mentor.
Working conditions / Work Schedule
This position involves frequent long-term use of a computer and phone in an office
environment, and walking to other locations while carrying a laptop or pushing computers on a cart. May involve driving to some customer/user office locations if appropriately trained.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.oregonstate.edu.