Website osucascades OSU-Cascades
Oregon State University – Cascades (OSU-Cascades) is seeking an Assistant Manager – Dining. This is a full-time (1.0 FTE), 12-month, professional faculty position. This position will be located in Bend, OR.
In support of the OSU-Cascades Signature Areas of Distinction, the Dining Services team exists to support the health and wellness of all students, faculty and staff by providing food and beverage choices that facilitate our own health, contribute to the collective well-being of our community, and work in collaboration with internal experts as well as external partners. The OSU-Cascades campus is a 300 bed residence hall, 250 seat dining center and coffee shop with full-service food service operation including catering that offers inspired cuisine and exceptional service to on-campus students and customers that emphasizes a focus on local and sustainable ingredients, healthy food options and cooking from scratch. Catering events include intimate gatherings, business meetings and conferences of varying sizes.
The OSU-Cascades Dining Services team is committed to:
- Creating a welcoming and inclusive dining experience that will create a sense of community.
- Providing dining options that meet the taste preferences, nutritional needs, price and dietary requests of our students, faculty, and staff.
- Working toward continuous improvements of operational efficiency by identifying and assessing metrics used to define success.
- Successfully managing a dining operation in a competitive market that will be financially sustainable.
This purpose of the Assistant Dining Manager is to assist with operational level management for day-to-day decisions, oversight of the on-campus Coffee Shop as well as working side by side with the Dining Manager and Executive Chef to work toward departmental goals, verify that food quality standards are met and to ensure business continuity. The Assistant Dining Manager contributes ideas and expertise to departmental leadership to improve operations, assists with the development and implementation of processes for effective and efficient workflow and ensures adherence to safety and quality standards.
This position also assists in the management of the unit budget (or portions of), keeps leaders informed, assist in the setting of performance expectations and for providing the necessary leadership to ensure that those expectations are met and customer satisfaction is ensured.
OSU-Cascades Dining Services staff members are expected to demonstrate a personal and professional commitment to providing excellent customer service and creating an inclusive, welcoming, and safe environment for all students, faculty and staff.
Working for Oregon State University is so much more than a job!
Oregon State University is a dynamic community of dreamers, doers, problem-solvers and change-makers. We don’t wait for challenges to present themselves — we seek them out and take them on. We welcome students, faculty and staff from every background and perspective into a community where everyone feels seen and heard. We have deep-rooted mindfulness for the natural world and all who depend on it, and together, we apply knowledge, tools and skills to build a better future for all.
• Top 1.4% university in the world
• More research funding than all public universities in Oregon combined
• 1 of 3 land, sea, space and sun grant universities in the U.S.
• 2 campuses, 11 colleges, 12 experiment stations, and Extension programs in all 36 counties
• 7 cultural resource centers that offer education, celebration and belonging for everyone
• 100+ undergraduate degree programs, 80+ graduate degrees plus hundreds of minor options and certificates
• 35k+ students including more than 2.3k international students and 10k students of color
• 217k+ alumni worldwide
• For more interesting facts about OSU visit: https://oregonstate.edu/about
Oregon State has a statewide presence with campuses in Corvallis and Bend, the OSU Portland Center and the Hatfield Marine Science Center on the Pacific Coast in Newport.
Oregon State’s beautiful, historic and state-of-the-art main campus is located in one of America’s best college towns. Corvallis is located close to the Pacific Ocean, the
Cascade mountains and Oregon wine county. Nestled in the heart of the Willamette Valley, this beautiful city offers miles of mountain biking and hiking trails, a river perfect for boating or kayaking and an eclectic downtown featuring local cuisine, popular events and performances.
Total Rewards Package:
Oregon State University offers a comprehensive benefits package with benefits eligible positions that is designed to meet the needs of employees and their families including:
- Medical, Dental, Vision and Basic Life. OSU pays 95% of premiums for you and your eligible dependents.
- Retirement savings paid by the university.
- A generous paid leave package, including holidays, vacation and sick leave.
- Tuition reduction benefits for you or your qualifying dependents at OSU or the additional six Oregon Public Universities.
- Robust Work Life programs including Dual Career assistance resources, flexible work arrangements, a Family Resource Center, Affinity Groups and an Employee Assistance Program.
Future and current OSU employees can use the Benefits Calculator to learn more about the full value of the benefits provided at OSU.
Dining Operations Leadership (30%)
- Provide Back-up support to the Dining Manager as needed.
- Provide input into workflow development and implementation.
- Report metrics related to established KPI’s.
- Demonstrate excellent customer service.
- Professionally address any complaints or concerns from customers using excellent written and/or verbal communication.
Coffee Shop Operations and Supervision (25%)
- Responsible for the day-to-day operational decisions of the OSU-Cascades Coffee Shop.
- Serve as first line of support for coffee shop by stepping in as barista, cashier and/or food service worker as needed.
- Supervision of Front of House staff.
Administrative Support (25%)
- Responsible for maintaining work schedules for staff and student employees.
- Management of culinary software systems, including invoicing, price updates, data management, and inventory record keeping.
- Assist in ordering and stocking retail items for the Beaver Dam and Study Grounds.
- Support manager on the design and orders for gear store merchandise.
- Lead monthly inventory counts and record keeping.
Catering and Culinary Support (15%)
- Provide support to catering chef on the preparation, delivery and cleanup of catered events as needed.
- Provide food and beverage services during catered events.
- Provide Back of House support to kitchen team as needed.
- Assist in monitoring compliance of all applicable laws local, state, and federal food handling policies pertaining to food safety, handling and record keeping,
- Complete various projects and other duties as assigned.
- A minimum of two years of full-time work experience as a supervisor or lead in a food service, hospitality, or similar environment.
- Ability to obtain OLCC server license within 30 days of hire.
- Demonstrated hands-on experience, working in a cooperative and supportive fashion with all staff, assisting as appropriate with identifying problems and creating solutions.
- Demonstrated commitment to promoting and enhancing diversity.
- Demonstrated commitment to provide outstanding customer service.
- Must have strong oral and written communication skill.
- Must have the ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously and make sound decisions.
- Must have strong problem solving skills and have the ability to make quick decisions under stress.
- Must have an understanding of food safety, sanitation and allergen principles and procedures.
- Demonstrated ability to use Windows based software, Microsoft Office, email, calendar and scheduling software. Ability to learn new software systems.
- Ability to lift/carry/push/pull food supplies, equipment & office supplies and equipment up to 50 lbs.
- Must obtain an Oregon Food Handlers Certificate within 30 days of the hire date and maintain throughout employment with OSU-Cascades Dining.
- Working knowledge of ServSafe principles and Allergen Awareness; certification in both areas is required within 90 days of employment or when training becomes available. Certifications must be maintained throughout employment with OSU-Cascades Dining. Training is provided at department expense.
Pursuant to OSU-Cascades Dining Policy, this position is required to maintain current Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation and Automated External Defibrillator (CPR/AED) certification (if cognitively and physically able to do so) within 90 days of employment or when training becomes available by the department. Training is provided at department expense. Duty to act ends at summoning professional emergency assistance.
This position is designated as a critical or security-sensitive position; therefore, the incumbent must successfully complete a criminal history check and be determined to be position qualified as per OSU Standard 576-055-0000 et seq. Incumbents are required to self-report convictions and those in youth programs may have additional criminal history checks every 24 months. Offers of employment are contingent upon meeting all minimum qualifications including the criminal history check requirement.
- Demonstrated experience as a trainer assisting in the development and implementation of various programs that teach others.
- Experience within a college or university dining setting.
- Knowledge of retail food service.
- Experience working with a clientele that has various special diet needs.
- Experience managing a multi-decision, multi-cultural fast-paced environment.
- Working knowledge Point of Sale Systems.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.oregonstate.edu.