About The United Way of Central Oregon
The United Way of Central Oregon (UWCO) works to bring people together to build a better community. The organization has had a presence in the region for more than 70 years and built a legacy around promoting personal philanthropy, service to community, and addressing critical human service needs through fundraising, grantmaking, and incubating new programs.
The UWCO is in a moment of change and transformation. While the UWCO has always sought to address the barriers and gaps that exist in our community, we recognize we must continue to evolve and work differently to address longstanding inequities that persist, including our own organization’s
role in holding or shifting those inequities.
We are actively developing a new vision and strategies and building a team that will contribute to collaboratively implementing our new future. Adaptability, a growth mindset, and commitment to equity are core values we seek in staff during our organization’s transition.
UWCO is a small, highly engaged work environment that works primarily through collaboration with a diverse group of stakeholders, community-based organizations, local governments, regional partnerships, donor networks, and local business and industry across Central Oregon. We strive to communicate effectively and respectfully within the context of varying beliefs, orientations, identities, and cultural backgrounds. As an organization, we value personal growth, courageous communication, honest reflection, and promote a willingness to change for continuous improvement and growth.
The Operations Associate plays a critical role in keeping the office and team running smoothly, supporting the Executive Director; and serving as a liaison to the UWCO Board of Directors. This position’s primary responsibility is ensuring organizational effectiveness by coordinating the organization’s operations, including basic fiscal management, scheduling, IT, communications, and events. The Operations Associate will be responsible for day-to-day operations, interfacing with contracted professional services, and developing and implementing internal practices in collaboration with the UWCO team.
This is a growth-focused position with on-the-job training, mentorship, and professional development opportunities. We encourage candidates with a variety of skills, backgrounds, identities, and lived experiences to apply.
Required Skills and Qualifications
- Interest and commitment to enhancing the effectiveness of nonprofit organizations.
- Exceptional organizational and time management skills.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office 356, Google Suite, database systems, social media, newsletter services; common office technology.
- Demonstrated experience with nonprofit office coordination preferred.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Support the administrative needs of the Executive Director.
- Organize office operations and procedures to reinforce efficiency and productivity.
- Streamline office record-keeping, including management of digital and physical records.
- Manage IT subcontractor and troubleshoot staff IT issues.
- Provide personnel support to the organization, including time tracking and employee benefit administration.
- Responsible for the maintenance of office resources, technology, and supplies.
- Acts as liaison to property management and attends to building safety matters, including serving on building safety committee.
Financial Liaison (50%)
- Work collaboratively with Executive Director, UWCO Board of Directors, and off-site financial & accounting service contractor on matters related to budgeting, revenue, and expenses.
- Coordinate with off-site financial and accounting services for day-to-day transactions, including:
- making bank deposits;
- inputting transactions into QuickBooks Online;
- paying bills by writing, printing, getting signatures, and mailing checks – or via electronic payment systems;
managing records of financial transactions, and
- managing reimbursements.
- Manage vendors and administer contracts for vendors and consultants.
- Observe internal controls and ensure compliance with organization’s policies and procedures.
Board Management & Investor and Community Relations (30%)
- Coordinate all communications and logistics related to the Board of Directors and Board committees,including keeping accurate meeting minutes.
- Prepare packets, background materials, and research for presentation to board of directors, investors, and community stakeholders.
- Draft reports and correspondence; responsible for their timely submission.
- Coordinate staff and lead vendor, venue, and logistics planning for community events.
Communications and Programs (10%)
- Work with staff to develop external communications including newsletters, press releases, social media posts, and other like mediums to share the UWCO’s story with the community.
- Work closely with the UWCO staff and vendors to monitor media outlets, compile internal staff media briefings, and produce public newsletters.
- Completes data entry, ensures database accuracy, and produces requested reports.
- In coordination with staff, assist programs including event, off-site meeting, research, and travel support.
General Attributes and Skills
- A love for the Central Oregon community and its collective success.
- Demonstrated commitment to the principles of diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice.
- A curious learner with the readiness to continuously adapt and grow.
- Ability to provide and receive constructive and regular feedback.
- Strong listener with ability to develop authentic, trusting professional relationships.
- Ability to analyze and define a problem, evaluate alternatives, and find a solution.
- Flexible, motivated, and able to take initiative.
- Ability to manage competing priorities and work under pressure.
- Sense of perspective and humor.
Please direct questions about the position and hiring process to firstname.lastname@example.org
To apply, please email a current resume and a concise cover letter explaining your interest in and qualifications for the Operations Associate position to email@example.com
To apply for this job please visit unitedwaycentraloregon.org .