Website St. Charles Health System
DEPARTMENTAL SUMMARY: ‘
St. Charles Health System’s Social Services positions may support any one, or a combination, of the following departments: Social Services, Home Health, Behavioral Health, or Hospice. These departments provide system-wide support including, but not limited to: working with a multi-disciplinary team to assess needs of patients and families, provide appropriate resource referrals, provide supportive counseling as needed, coordinate discharge planning and provide other identified services as needed to support those affected by chronic or acute illness. These departments may also provide the physical, emotional, mental and spiritual needs of patient and family from admission through bereavement utilizing an interdisciplinary approach to care that includes physicians, registered nurses, chaplains, aide’s social workers, volunteers and counselors.
The Social Services Specialist assists in meeting the psychosocial needs of patients and their families, to help patients utilize services to achieve optimum level of function, and to coordinate care throughout the continuum of care. In addition, the Social Services Specialist provides supportive counseling and brief interventions including assessment and treatment for patients experiencing coexisting medical concerns and social/behavioral/mental health issues.
This position does not directly manage any other caregivers.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND DUTIES:
- Function as a member of the Interdisciplinary Care Team to assure care is accomplished effectively and efficiently in a cost effective manner and to establish, review and revise the plan of care for each patient.
- Provide psychosocial counseling, support, information and referral to patients and families regarding illness and related issues. Reinforce patients continued health care through teaching and/or referrals to community agencies.
- Perform patient assessment of social, economic, emotional and family situations. Provide substance abuse assessment and brief interventions (SBIRT), and refer to OP follow-up for patients scoring positively on the Columbia Suicide Risk AssessmentProvide brief interventions for patients experiencing emotional distress, using a variety of evidence based treatment modalities, interventions and strategies.
- Identify possible victims of child abuse, domestic violence, and elder abuse. Make appropriate referrals, and notify the Department of Human Services (DHS) and/or law enforcement when applicable.
- Assess the potential threat of harm to self and/or others and/or inability to care for one self
- Coordinate care with outpatient providers including therapeutic appointments, medication management, follow up medical appointments and local/state agencies.
- Identify and communicate appropriate community resources pertinent to patient, family and/or caregiver needs. Acts as a resource to staff in identification of needed community resources for patients and families.
- Provide appropriate patient family and/or caregiver education in order to facilitate successful and ongoing management of patient health and safety.
- Provide thorough documentation of all patient interactions in accordance with hospital, state, federal and regulatory requirements.
- Respect the privacy and protect the confidentiality of patients and family members while maintaining the boundaries of the professional discipline.
- Conducts all activities with the highest standards of professionalism and confidentiality. Complies with all applicable laws, regulations, policies and procedures, supporting the health system’s corporate integrity efforts by acting in an ethical and appropriate manner, reporting known or suspected violations of applicable rules, and cooperating fully with all company investigations and proceedings.
- Delivers customer service and/or patient care in a manner that promotes goodwill, is timely, efficient and accurate.
- Gather data and accurately document information in a timely manner demonstrating compliance with department standards.
- Participate with team members in facilitating patient’s and family’s learning throughout the continuum of care. Reinforce patient’s continued health care through teaching and/or referral to community agency follow-up.
- Supports the vision, mission and values of the organization in all respects.
- Supports Value Improvement Practice (VIP- Lean) principles of continuous improvement with energy and enthusiasm, functioning as a champion of change.
- Provides and maintains a safe environment for caregivers, patients and guests.
- May perform additional duties of similar complexity within the organization, as required or assigned.
- Master’s level degree in Social Work or Behavioral Sciences.
- Valid current Oregon driver’s license and ability to meet SCHS driving requirements for Home Health, Hospice and Behavioral Health departments.
- LCSW preferred. Member of the National Association of Social Worker’s or anther national association membership
- One year experience in a healthcare or social work related field.
- Two years of experience in a hospital setting
PERSONAL PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT
Must be able to wear appropriate Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) required to perform the job safely.
- Continually (75% or more): Use of clear and audible speaking voice and the ability to hear normal speech level.
- Frequently (50%): Sitting, keyboard operation.
- Occasionally (25%): Standing, walking, bending, stooping/kneeling/crouching, climbing stairs, reaching overhead, lifting/carrying/pushing or pulling 1-10 pounds, grasping/squeezing, operation of a motor vehicle, ability to hear whispered speech level.
- Never (0%): Climbing ladder/step-stool, lifting/carrying/pushing or pulling 11-50 pounds.
Exposure to Elemental Factors
- Occasionally (25%): Chemical solution for Laboratory Caregivers.
- Rarely (10%): Wet/slippery area.
- Never (0%): Heat, cold, noise, dust, vibration, chemical solution, uneven surface.
- Blood-Borne Pathogen (BBP) Exposure Category
- Risk for Exposure to BBP
To apply for this job please visit stcharles.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com.