Website SouthWest Water Company
SouthWest Water is a privately-held, American-owned service company with decades of high-level customer service. Today, we serve over 600,000 residential and business customers in seven states: Alabama, California, Florida, Oregon, Louisiana, South Carolina, and Texas. Our teams work together to deliver clean, safe, and reliable water and wastewater services so that our customers and communities can thrive.
Imagine being part of a team that supplies the essential element for life. Water is the very foundation of this planet, the life-giving essence in all of us. Driven, knowledgeable and passionate about this essential resource, the Oregon Water Utilities team, a subsidiary of SouthWest Water, is in the business of delivering a product everyone uses and depends on.
At Oregon Water Utilities, we provide water and wastewater services to our community and ensure that our customers have good, clean water. We are proud of our team and what we do, and we hope you’ll consider sharing in our mission.
SouthWest Water Company is seeking a Utility Operator for our Bend/Redmond location. This position performs a variety of tasks including routine monitoring and testing of water and wastewater to assist with facility operation, maintenance, and service. Employee Success is one of our core values. Our team members are provided with on-the-job training, and we also help them achieve operator certifications for water and wastewater.
Compensation and Benefits
- Pay Range (depending on skills, qualifications, and certifications):
- Assistant Utility Operator: $20 – $24/hr
- Utility Operator I: $22 – $29/hr
- Utility Operator II: $27 – $38/hr
- 401k Company Match: 100% of the first 6% of your eligible compensation contributed to the Plan
- Vacation Accrual: Starting at 3 weeks per year
- Holidays: 10 company-paid holidays per year
- Floating Time: 16 hours of paid floating time per year
- Additional Benefit Plans include Medical, Dental, Vision, Company-Paid Life Insurance and more
- Training, Professional Certifications, and Education Allowance
Work Location: Position is based out of our Bend/Redmond location. This position primarily works outdoors.
This is a full-time position, with hours Monday-Friday and on-call hours outside of the regular working hours.
Reasonable Accommodations Statement
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable Accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
As a Utility Operator, you’ll have a hands-on role in maintaining our water system. Here’s what your day-to-day will look like:
- Water Production and Distribution: Make sure our water is safe to drink, keeping accurate records and logs of quality checks.
- Maintenance and Repairs: Help repair and upgrade our water system by maintaining and fixing equipment. Ensure that the system is operational through regular checks and inspections.
- Meter Management and Customer Service: Read water meters, investigate leaks, respond to customer calls and address water issues. Manage service activation and deactivation.
- Sewer Management: Respond to customer calls for sewer backups, flushing lines, and troubleshooting sewer issues.
- Wastewater Treatment: Operate and maintain wastewater treatment equipment and processes. Conduct monitoring, chemical treatment, and algae control. Operate recycled water reuse pump station.
- Monitoring and Reporting: Collect and test wastewater samples, calibrate instruments, maintain daily logs with a high level of accuracy, and monitor chlorine levels.
- Equipment and Site Inspection: Conduct routine plant site inspections and identify and address safety concerns.
- Knowledge of water distribution system materials and water system hydraulics
- Knowledge of waste water collection system materials and wastewater system hydraulics
- Knowledge of wastewater treatment plant operation
- Eﬀective verbal and written communication skills
- Experience with SAP preferred
Education and Certifications
- High school diploma or equivalent is required
- Trade school (electrical, plumbing, etc.) preferred
- Backflow Tester Certification – within 1 year of hire
- DEQ Treatment Operator 1 – within 3 years of hire
- OR – D1 (Water Distribution Grade 1)
- 1+ years of experience performing construction activities or working for a utility is preferred
- Works outdoors and at plant facilities
- May be subject to adverse weather and environmental conditions, including temperature extremes, humidity and precipitation; noise and vibration from heavy equipment
- Exposure to physical hazards from equipment with moving parts, high voltage electrical equipment, hazardous chemicals, bacteria in wastewater
SouthWest Water Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It’s our policy to provide employment, training, compensation, promotion, and other opportunities based on qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, veteran status or disability, and in compliance with all applicable state and federal laws.
Nearest Major Market: Bend
To apply for this job please visit careers.swwc.com.