Website Deschutes County
ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT:
County Administration works collaboratively to ensure County government is effective, accountable, and inclusive. We work within the organization and the region to align County work with the Board of County Commissioners’ goals and direction, support elected and appointed officials and promote an informed public. We’re a close-knit team that cares deeply about the work we do.
In addition to this new role, the County’s Communications team includes a Communications Director and Digital Communications Coordinator. The Digital Communications Coordinator manages photo and video content, produces the County’s podcast and directs the County’s social media strategies.
ABOUT THE COUNTY:
We know where you choose to live, work and play matters. Deschutes County is one of the largest employers in Central Oregon and the largest municipal government in the region. Our dedicated and passionate workforce of more than 1,200 employees provide County services in a number of departments, divisions, and offices.
Located in the heart of Central Oregon, between the towering Cascade Mountain Range to the west and the high desert plateau to the east, Deschutes County is the outdoor recreation capital of Oregon. We enjoy a renowned quality of life, with big-city opportunities and small-town neighborhoods.
We hope you’ll consider joining our talented team.
ABOUT THE JOB:
- Deschutes County is growing its communications and marketing team to continue to enhance the County’s ability to connect residents with local government. We’re looking for someone who can concisely and clearly communicate across a variety of platforms.This position will direct and coordinate the County’s media relations and public information programs. In this role, you’ll support County departments and offices with the development of external and internal communications strategies and projects. You’ll craft press releases, work to produce the County’s internal and external newsletters and manage web strategy and content.
This position is located in Deschutes County and may be eligible for hybrid of in-office/remote work as allowed by policy and approved by the supervisor.
Public Information: Write, edit and distribute digital newsletters, press releases, talking points and other content. Develop communications plans for a variety of projects and programs. Amplify the work of departments and offices using unique storytelling strategies. Serve in a direct emergency response role within the organization’s incident command system.
Serve as the primary point of contact for media inquiries and serve, as needed, as the organization’s spokesperson. Proactively pitch stories to local media.
Support departments and offices with inclusive community outreach and engagement strategies.
Web Content and Strategy:
Collaborate with the Digital Communications Coordinator and County IT to manage the structure, content and effectiveness of the County’s website. Provide on-going consultative (technical, branding and content development) support to web stakeholders across departments and offices. Create and publish engaging, accurate and timely content.
What You Will Bring:
- We’re looking for candidates who have experience and skill with:
- Writing, proofreading, and editing news releases, newsletters, emails and more.
- Professional experience using an email marketing program like Constant Contact or Mailchimp.
- Proficiency in content management systems (CMS) and web publishing platforms.
- Associated Press Style Guidelines.
- Three years of professional experience with the following:
- Developing and executing communications plans and strategies
- Media relations
- Developing and maintaining website content
- Writing, editing and proofreading.
- Developing and maintaining collaborative working relationships with a variety of stakeholders.
- Project management and the ability to effectively prioritize, troubleshoot and maintain multiple projects and deadlines simultaneously.
*This posting is not meant to be an all-inclusive list of duties and responsibilities, but rather constitutes a general definition of the position’s scope and function.
Notification to all candidates will be sent via email and/or text only. Please opt in for text messaging or check your email and your Governmentjobs.com account for application status.
Review the full job description by clicking HERE.
$6,513.84 to $8,729.19 per month for a 172.67-hour work month. Excellent County benefit package when eligible. This position is available immediately.
Our robust health plan is offered at a minimal cost of $95 per month for employee only or $116 per month for employee plus dependents, which includes an innovative on-site clinic, pharmacy, and wellness and wellbeing services. Additionally, we include life insurance, retirement (PERS), generous paid time-off (14-18 hours/month to start, pro-rated for part-time), holidays, and professional development opportunities. Please click HERE (Download PDF reader) for full benefit details.
Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, English, Marketing, or Communications or a related field;
AND three (3) years of responsible experience in public affairs, public information, or public relations;
OR any equivalent combination of training, education, and experience that provides the required skills and knowledge to perform the job.
Necessary Special Requirements
Driving is a requirement for this position. Possession of or ability to obtain a valid Oregon driver’s license within 30 days of hire date. The employment offer will be contingent upon presentation of an acceptable and verifiable driver’s license, pre-employment screening for criminal history, driving history, and controlled substances (NOTE: Positive test results for marijuana use may result in rescission of a contingent offer of employment). This screening must be completed with satisfactory findings in order for a formal offer of employment to be extended.
Deschutes County is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We strive to build an inclusive environment that encourages, supports, and represents the diverse voices and needs of our communities. All are encouraged to apply – we welcome diverse perspectives and experiences.
To apply for this job please visit www.governmentjobs.com.