To be considered for this position, applicants must have a complete online application. Your application materials and any submitted responses to the supplemental questions will be the basis for our evaluation. Incomplete information may result in disqualification and/or affect your starting wage. Applicants must provide certification that they are a veteran or disabled veteran to receive veteran’s preference.
Bend Park & Recreation District Core Competencies: All positions with Bend Park and Recreation District are subject to district and position competencies. Below is a list of the most critical competencies for this position. Additional competencies are required for the position and may change based on district needs. A complete list of the competencies is available from Human Resources.
- Customer Service Orientation
- Judgment and Decision Making
- Teamwork and Cooperation
- Results Orientation
Description & Primary Duties
About the job: This position is responsible for performing custodial and sanitation duties to provide clean and sanitary facilities for the District and the general public.
This is a seasonal 6 month position working 40 hours per week.
Typical work hours are from 7:00AM – 3:30PM. Must be able to work weekends.
A day in the life:
- Perform cleaning, janitorial and sanitation duties on park restrooms and/or assigned facilities, including refilling supplies in restrooms.
- Assist in determining cleaning needs and adjust janitorial and sanitation schedule.
- Sweep sidewalks. Remove snow from sidewalks and entryways.
- Organize, maintain and recommend purchases for janitorial equipment and supplies.
- Assist in determining cleaning needs and recommend janitorial and sanitation schedule adjustments to the Custodial Supervisor.
- Monitor equipment and facilities for required maintenance; performs routine maintenance, including unclogging sinks, drains, and toilets; submits work order requests for necessary repairs.
- Maintain floors, sweeping and mopping.
- Clean and report graffiti, vandalism and other incidents.
- Provide direction and support to new custodial staff.
- Acts as a Mandatory Reporter; reports incidents of child abuse/neglect.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
What we’re looking for:
- High school diploma or equivalent; AND
- One (1) year of custodial or facility maintenance experience, preferably in a public facility; OR
- Any satisfactory combination of education, experience and training.
What you’ll need for success:
Strong Knowledge of:
- Cleaning and sanitation requirements at a public facility;
- Common cleaning equipment, tools, materials, and supplies needed for custodian work;
- Routine custodian practices and methods, including safety procedures, proper handling, operation and maintenance of equipment, and basic building safety tasks;
- Principles and practices of customer service;
- Spoken and written English; and
- Safe and effective use and application of cleaning agents and solvents.
Skill and Ability to:
- Safely and effectively operate cleaning equipment and tools;
- Take direction and perform task with minimal supervision;
- Prioritize tasks and perform a full range of assigned janitorial duties in a fast-paced environment;
- Identify occupational hazards and use safety precautions;
- Demonstrate a high attention to detail;
- Effectively communicate with others verbally and in writing;
- Use active listening and interpersonal skills to mitigate conflict;
- Work cooperatively with others; and
- Create a positive, constructive and respectful relationship with staff and the general public.
Position requires possession of a valid Oregon Driver’s license.
Works under the general supervision of Custodian Supervisor who assigns work. Carries out work independently, but work and decisions are typically reviewed prior to final execution.
Supervision is not normally a responsibility of this classification, however, may provide direction to new hire custodial staff.
The following are working conditions, including environmental and physical demands, required for this position.
- Duties are generally performed both indoors and outdoors with exposure to inclement weather, including heat, humidity, wind, snow, and rain.
- Exposed to moving equipment, dust, fumes, electric shock, toxic/caustic chemicals and biological hazards.
- Duties may be performed in a closed facility and/or around the public during public events.
- May require working at heights.
- Safety equipment, including shoes, gloves, and eye protection as required.
- Gloves, eye protection, and a mask are provided
- Work is performed during early morning hours and requires continuous physical exertion at a fast pace.
- Positions in this class typically require: climbing, balancing, kneeling, reaching, standing, walking, lifting, grasping, feeling, talking, hearing, seeing, and repetitive motions with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Ability to walk and stand for sustained period of time with frequent climbing, lifting, carrying, pushing, pulling, bending and twisting.
- Must be able to travel to locations in, around, or outside the greater Bend area, including travel to District sites. Vehicle is provided.
- Exert up to 100 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 50 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects, including to operate and handle tables, chairs, commercial cleaning equipment, materials and supplies; and to mop; move furniture, equipment and fixtures; operate floor equipment; handle trash barrels; and vacuum.
- Making substantial movements (motions) of the wrists, hands, and/or fingers, and constant use of hands and arms and may require overhead reaching.
- Expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word; those activities where detailed or important spoken instructions must be conveyed to other workers accurately, loudly, or quickly.
- Perceiving the nature of sounds at normal speaking levels with or without correction and having the ability to receive detailed information through oral communication and making fine discriminations in sound.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Bend Park and Recreation District is an Equal Opportunity Employer
To apply for this job please visit www.governmentjobs.com.